Wednesday, June 06, 2001

Not everybody is impressed with Rachel Whiteread's Monument. The Guardian asks passers-by for their opinions.
John, 73, and Joanne, 76, Durno-Cockrayne, retired:
"What, a sculpture? That's a sculpture? I thought it was a pile of old rubbish. I'm sorry, but I believe sculpture is lions, horses, fountains. What's it meant to be? I haven't got a clue. Whatever it is, it's a pile of old rubbish. This is Trafalgar Square! They should have a sea admiral, something more respectable. It's supposed to represent silence, you say? Well, everyone does stand there in silence looking at it and wondering what the bloody hell it is. We've seen a lot of people looking at it and just laughing and laughing. I don't like modern art. I like to see a painting, not a load of old scribble. I like Picasso, though, because you can see what it is. They should get rid of this glass rubbish. We're from Warwickshire, you know."

No comments: