Friday, February 02, 2001

This is an email from my friend Andy, which I just had to repeat here:

Where were you all last night? Certainly not with me and Richard! We decided that it might be fun to go to the Two Brewers to see Bucks Fizz...

It started with Mike Nolan saying that they had now been together 20 years. Strange that was, as he was the only orignal member. Bobby Gee has disappeared and has been replaced by David Van Day (yes, remember Dollar). He now resembles Pat Wicks on a good day, and they seem to have dropped the Vera Lynn lookalike who was one of the girls last time I saw them in Cambridge, to be replaced by two blonde bombshells.

The Brewers was packed, but with nobody we knew . It was like there was a coachload of schoolkids bussed in from the suburbs all of which probably weren`t born when Making Your Mind Up was released.

Despite all of the above they did a couple of medleys of their hits: Making Your Mind Up, If You Can`t Stand The Heat, Run For Your Life, My Camera Never Lies, The Land Of Make Believe, and a few others; to be finished off with David van Day breaking into Mirror Mirror, the old Dollar hit. The encore was a Sean Sirrs mix of Making Your Mind Up!

At this point and after 6 pints I think it would have been wise to go home. BUT no we ended up going out the back for a Boogie.

We stumbled out on the street where I then did my Alien impression and was rather ill. At this point Richard put the rescue plan into action, by calling for an ambulance to take me away. Actually they took us back to Waterloo, which made getting home a bit easier. Very kind of
them... and by the time we got to St Thomas' I had recovered so didn`t need admitting...!

All in all a great Thursday night!

No comments: