Monday, November 12, 2001

Marcus and I leave for Barcelona on Wednesday. Although I've been there four times, and know the city well, I have never had a really good meal there. Every restaurant I've eaten at has been a disappointment.

The sole exception is Ila de Gracia, a restaurant up near Fontana metro station. I first went there with my friends Richard and Halina back in 1996. We got chatting to the waiter, José, a really lovely guy. He chatted to us for ages, telling us about loads of bars and clubs. A year later, I went to the same restaurant with my friend Saffina. José immediately recognised me, and asked me how my two friends were. A year after that, Saffina went on her own, and again José knew who she was, and asked after me. I'd love to take Marcus there, to see if José still recognises me after a two-year break, but there's a problem: Ila de Gracia is a vegetarian restaurant, and I have a boyfriend who refuses to eat vegetables!

If you have had a good meal in Barcelona, please recommend the restaurant in the comments.

No comments: