Saturday, April 27, 2002

Can anyone help? I received this e-mail today. If you have an idea what club this might be, please leave an answer in the comments below.
"Hi. I'm sorry to randomly contact you, but after many fruitless Google searches, I thought this might work. You seem to know a lot about London nightlife, so...

I'm trying to find the name of a specific club in London, or perhaps a party within a specific club. According to your blog, you've only been in London for 6 years -- could you give me the contact info of anyone who's lived there for over 10 years?

I'm trying to find a famous or touristy gay club in London that existed 10 years ago. The name includes the word "Mod" or "Mad."

Why I'm looking for this: in the late 1980s or early 1990s, my father (35 at the time) gave me a t-shirt from a club in London. (He travelled to London from Kentucky every Christmas to teach). The t-shirt was black with blue block writing. I don't remember what it said, but it had the words "Mad" or "Mod" in it, then "London, England." He sent me a postcard from that same trip saying that he had seen Jimmy Somerville in a club. I don't know if it was the same club, but I'm assuming it was. The club must've been large & popular enough to support a small t-shirt shop.

This is before he died of AIDS in 1992 & before our family knew he was gay. I'm trying to find out more about this particular club. I know this seems so vague, but it's all I have. I'd appreciate any help you could offer, or if you know of anyone else who would know."

No comments: