Thursday, August 23, 2001

At last night's KilburnBlogMeet, Fraser, Marcia and I reminisced about our first slow dance. [No, not with each other!]

Caroline Wood was the most eligible thirteen-year-old girl in Mhlambanyati. The chief forester's daughter, Caroline lived in the big house on the hill. Long blonde hair, blue eyes, she was as beautiful as Agnetha, a teenaged ice maiden. She came to my 13th birthday party and I plucked up the courage to ask her for a dance. Of course, as we were playing my record (Springbok Hits Volume 32) I knew that the next song was a Slow Dance. It was - in fact - the ultimate smoochie by renowned ladykiller, Leo Sayer. "When I a neeeed yu, I just close myas, andI'm wiiithyu. And all that I soooo wannagiiiveyu, is only a hatbeat awaaaay."

I held her around the waist, her arms resting on my shoulders as we shuffled around my parents' living room. At the end of the song, she looked down at me and said, "do you want to go into the garden and French kiss?"

No comments: