Thursday, April 17, 2003

I hope you enjoyed that as much as I did. It's hard to know, when you're setting a competition all alone in your bedroom, whether you've made the quiz too easy or too hard. Judging from the scores, the difficulty level seems to have been about right. Being the sadistic bastard I am, I've taken great pleasure in the emails saying, "Oh, I know that one, it's on the tip of my tongue. I know I've got it on CD, but I can't find it. Aaaarrrgghh!" There was drama mid-contest as clear signs of cheating were uncovered. [ok, not really]

The correct answers:
1. Electric 6 - Danger! High Voltage
2. Heaven 17 - Temptation
3. ABBA - Dancing Queen
4. St Etienne - He's On The Phone
5. Prince - Alphabet Street
6. The Cardigans - My Favourite Game
7. Kelly Marie - Feels Like I'm In Love
8. Kylie Minogue - Better The Devil You Know
9. Madonna - Like A Prayer
10. The Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays
11. Deee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart
12. Blur - Girls & Boys
13. The Pretenders - Brass In Pocket
14. Laura Branigan - Gloria
15. Pulp - Disco 2000
16. Eminem - The Real Slim Shady
17. Destiny's Child - Jumpin' Jumpin'
18. The Osmonds - Crazy Horses
19. The Pet Shop Boys - It's A Sin
20. Nelly - Hot In Herre
Listen to the snippet again.

And the winner is… Darren
Darren scored an amazing 39 out of 40. The only song he had trouble with was number 5: "I know it's Prince. Is it Sign O' The Times?"
Refreshingly, Darren doesn't have a blog to link to, but he does have a club to promote, and a fab one, too. Shake Your Tail Feather is coming back at last, playing Motown, northern soul, funk and rare groove. SYTF will be held on the first Wednesday of every month, starting the 7th of May, at Flip on Lisle Street.

2nd: Jonathan on 38 points. Like Darren, he named the wrong Prince track, and he also mixed up his Destiny's Child songs.

3rd: Elisabeth, 36 out of 40. Elisabeth had a last-minute change of mind: apparently the sunshine gave her a sudden flash of inspiration, and she cried "Eureka! Kylie Minogue!"

=5th: Dave
=5th: Mike
Dave and Mike both scored 34 out of 40. This makes it very nearly a clean sweep for ex-Retro Bar pop quizzers. Dave now lives in Sydney, but is keepin' the faith, man.
Mike once joined us for a Retro Bar quiz, too. I came fifth in his music quiz last week, now he's come fifth in mine. Neither Dave nor Mike recognised Madonna. That's several points on your Homosexualists' Licence, boys.

6th: Marc deserves special mention. He confessed he'd become totally obsessed with the quiz, sending me five entries in four days. Each time, he'd hopefully enquire: "And now? Have I done better?" and each time I'd have to reply, "nope, still 33."

7th: Paul [28].
8th: Diamond Geezer [27].
9th: Luca [26].
10th: Mark [22].

Followed by: Christian , Peter, Job, John, and Sarah. "Ooh! I got 28," squealed Sarah when she submitted her entry. "Er, no, love, 16, actually!"

Thanks to everyone who entered. I have been thinking of running a much harder one soon, with fairly obscure tracks that only a dedicated fan would recognise, but making it collaborative, with answers in the comments.

No comments: