Thursday, April 10, 2003

In the early hours of this morning, I was accosted on the street by an amiably drunk young man carrying a road sign:
"Mate! Mate! You've got to help me! You've got to tell me: should we liberate Iraq, or should we bomb them?"
"Er, I don't think it's quite that simple, I mean..."
"But I don't know what we should do! Should we liberate them or bomb them?"
"Well, er," I replied, then saw an opportunity to change the subject: "What does your sign say?"
"I don't know!" he cried, "I don't know!"
"Well, let's have a look then: 'London Marathon. Diversions. Avoid area.'"
"Oh no!" he said, "that's not any help!" So he dropped his sign and started following me down the street. "Should we liberate Iraq or should we bomb them?"
I thought about it. "Neither," I replied.
"Neither? Neither? Oh no! You mean I've got to go back and get my sign?"
"Yes, I think you'd better."
I left him heading back to his sign muttering, "Neither! Neither!"

No comments: